Friday 29 September 2017

Is God solitary or lonely?

I am a bit confused - 2 leading scholars have made provocative and contrary statements. On the one hand AW Pink writes of the solitariness of God - he is sufficient in Himself and has no need of you; Tom Wright on the other hand speaks of God being lonely, hence creating Adam and Eve and us. So which is it - is God solitary or lonely or both? For my part, I cant help thinking about God the Father in communion with His Son and The Holy Spirit. Solitary...lonely...mmm?
For me too, the whole Bible narrative is a love story - a story of God's love for people, His desire for a people who will worship Him, befriend Him and walk with Him - in the garden of Genesis and the city of Revelation; a story of God sending His Son Jesus to teach us how to live - "Love the Lord your God with all your heart..."; a story of God preparing a new heaven and new earth for His friends. Is God solitary? I think He has no lack or need of anything, but chooses to share His world with us and invites us to know Him and love Him. Is God lonely? I don't think so, but I do think He invites us to be His friends forever. What do you think?

No comments: